The purpose of this manual is to help in the explanation, visualization and execution of the flight maneuvers required for the Instrument Pilot Practical Flight Test. Students preparing for their oral and flight test will find this manual helpful.
Any pilot preparing for a Instrument Competency Check (ICC), can use this manual as a refresher on maneuvers that you may not have executed in quite some time. Instrument Flight Instructor applicants and Certified Instrument Flight Instructors will find this manual a beneficial teaching aid.
The manual breaks down each maneuver required on the Instrument Practical Test in six parts:
Benefits of this manual over other flight maneuver manuals:
- FAA objective for the maneuver.
- FAA completion standards.
- General description of the maneuver.
- Detailed step by step textual description on how to execute the maneuver as recommended by the FAA.
- References to FAA publications where the information was compiled from.
- Detailed graphic profiles summarizing the procedure in a visual format.
- Also included are airspeeds, pitch attitudes, bank angles, power settings and configurations for a Cessna 172P plus room to add the same information for up to three additional aircraft.
- Certified Instrument Flight Instructors can use this teaching aid as an excellent resource for preflight briefings.
- Only detailed maneuvers manual with a spiral binding. Easy to lay book open flat in the classroom or in the cockpit.
- Several flight schools use this manual as a standardization tool for all their instructors and students.
- There is no other source that details the Instrument Pilot Maneuvers like this book.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Cross country flight planning
Aircraft systems related to IFR operations
Aircraft flight instruments and navigation equipment
Loss of communication
Instrument cockpit check
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL CLEARANCES AND PROCEDURES
Compliance with departure, enroute, and arrival procedures and clearances
FLIGHT BY REFERENCE TO INSTRUMENTS
Straight and level flight
Change of airspeed
Constant airspeed climbs
Constant airspeed descents
Constant rate climbs
Constant rate descents
Timed turns to magnetic compass headings
Magnetic compass turns
Recovery from unusual flight attitudes
NAVIGATION SYSTEMS AND INSTRUMENT APPROACH PROCEDURES
Intercepting and tracking navigational systems and DME arcs
Intercepting and tracking a VOR and GPS radial
Intercepting and tracking NDB bearings
Intercepting and tracking DME arcs
No-gyro radar vectoring and approach procedures
Nonprecision instrument approach procedures
VOR/DME/RNAV/GPS instrument approach procedures
NDB instrument approach procedures
Localizer, localizer bank course, localizer directional aid, and simplified directional facility approach procedures
Nonprecision instrument approach profile
Precision ILS approach procedures
Missed approach procedure
Circling approach procedure
Landing from a stright-in or circling approach procedure
Vertical S, S-1, and S-2
ATIS clearance 1
ATIS clearance 2
Instrument approach review