Sky-Tec Flyweight™ Starters for Continental aircraft engines feature superior design features over old, heavy, stock OEM starters including:
• Durable, reliable design
• All-in-one bolt-off/bolt-on installation
• Eliminates continuous duty clutch on smaller series engines
•Positive disengagement eliminates wear while your engine is running
•Significant torque increase/multiple gear reduction
•Decreased current draw
Safe for ALL TCM starter adapters!
ST5 series starters offer the following features:
• Powerful 2.2 kW high-torque, permanent magnet motor
• Faster cranking RPM - typically 10-25% faster than heavyweight starters.
• Light weight (9.1 lbs!);
• Proven gear reduction drive train tempers current draw;
• TCM starter adapter friendly electromechanically engaged/disengaged drive system provides instantaneous release of the starter adaptor wrap spring virtually eliminating starter-induced adapter wear.
• Approved and recommended for ALL starter adaptors ("classic style", "improved style", "permold", "sand cast", etc.)
• A simple, easy-to-install, bolt-off/bolt-on, maintenance-free starter that fits the entire "large" series Continental engines (with right-angle starter adapters) from O-300-D through TSIO-550 engines
• Attractively designed and affordably produced making it the first and only choice in lightweight large Teledyne Continental engine starters.
How is the ST5 starter different?
The ST5 starter couples a high power 2.2 kW motor with an innovative solenoid-engaged (and disengaged) drive system completely disengages the powerful permanent magnet motor while the starter is unpowered eliminating possible TCM starter adapter wear while providing authoritative, high-torque starting. Positive solenoid enabled engagement and disengagement allows the TCM starter adapter to fully unwrap under all normal operating conditions thus greatly prolonging starter adapter life.
How do I know which one to buy?
If your TCM engine has a right-angle starter adapter at the rear of the engine and a clean source of nearly located battery voltage, chances are this starter is the right one for your application. Consult their extensive aircraft fit guide just to be sure.
This starter is awesome! It turns my rear engine spin much faster that the OEM starter.
SKY-TEC STARTER C24ST5
Wow. Turns an Io520 like it’s no big deal.
Wow! What a difference.
So far so good. I installed this starter on my IO-520 and promptly got called away from the heated hangar. I was expecting a real hard start at 24f and had good turnover and a prompt start twice when I really needed it. A lot better than the older type that couldnt pull the engine through the first prop without bouncing it.
Be sure to check the allen head bolts that secure the flange head. Mine were loose. Its a good thing the solenoid was not in the right place. When turning the head of the starter I discovered this! Otherwise it has worked flawlessly so far.
Seems to crank well, but does make weird noise compared to the larger starters. Have only had it on the aircraft for 20 hours, so time will tell. Makes pulling oil filter much easier, and it is also easier to install due to its reduced diameter.
The starter is fine. Unfortunately, the adapter had to be replaced as well, so the starter wasn’t the ultimate fix for my problems.
Hartzell has a 2 year warranty that covers manufacture defects and covers the whole unit if defective. The manufacturer handles the warranty claim.
Clockwise when looking from the cockpit.
No, there is not a gasket as there is already an o-ring installed on the starter itself.
Yes, there is now a core / exchange charge associated with the purchase of Sky Tec starters. It is refunded when an acceptable core is returned after purchase.
You will receive a core return RMA with your shipment. You use that RMA # to return your core to our facility for evaluation and refund credit.