Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a toxic, odorless, and tasteless gas produced by the incomplete combustion of gasoline, kerosene, natural gas, butane, propane, fuel oil, wood, coal, and other fossil fuels. Dangerous levels of CO can be produced by internal combustion engines or from any poorly vented or improperly adjusted fuel-burning appliance. Exposure to CO may cause sickness, headaches, or even death.
This Carbon Monoxide Detector can save a pilot’s life, especially when flying with the heater on, by warning of the presence of CO in the cockpit—the spot will turn gray/black when CO is in the air. The spot on the detector returns to normal color after it is exposed to fresh air.
You can use this CO-DETECTOR as your personal and portable CO detection device. With the adhesive back, stick it on the panel or dash for a semi-permanent installation, or wear it on an ID badge or on a lanyard. Unopened CO-Detectors have a shelf life of 3 years, indicated by the expiration date on the package. Once removed from the packaging, the CO-Detector will last for 12 months.
CAUTION: Detector will be damaged by the presence of halogens (iodine, chlorine, bromine), ammoniac and nitrous gases. Do not use near diesel engines. Harsh direct sunlight will tend to bleach out indicator spot and shorten useful life
Twice in my flying experience one of these has saved the day, both times due to an exhaust leak brought in through the cabin heater. Smelled nothing, felt no symptoms, just noticed the dot was turning black. I immediately shut off the heater, opened the cold air vents and landed ASAP. Both times the dot had resumed its normal color by the time I had landed.
Every cockpit should have some sort of carbon monoxide detection.
Great unit thanks
Doesnt work as quick as the electronic ones, and its sensitive to hot temperatures. For the price though, it does the job.
Why is the sticky pad so ineffective? I was disappointed in that. Otherwise, its a cheap detector, I assume it works as advertised.
Didnâ€™t last 12 mos as expected - good for about 8 mos
Just good for few months 3-4
100 PPM 15-45 minutes / 200 PPM 4-5 minutes / 300 PPM 2-4 minutes / 400 PPM 1-4 minutes